The top four storage companies for the Internet including the likes of Google and Microsoft store about 1.2 million terabytes of data. With 4.66 billion active users on the internet, it is no surprise that the business community these days is constantly looking for meaningful insights from text. Such insights are extracted from raw data usually in the form of text, to gain insights that could point a business in the right direction. The latest breakthroughs in technology such as the use of AI in our daily lives, (example: ChatGPT), are helping overcome earlier problems with manual text visualization.
According to the Global Text Analytics Market Report of 2023, the current text analytics market cap is forecasted to reach $13,060 million in market valuation by the year 2025. The importance of data analytics to gain a better understanding of a customer’s preferences is now a reality. Text visualizations and information visualizations are an important source of collating raw textual data into meaningful output. These text analytics tools offer businesses to tell a tell a story from mere raw data gathered from the internet. Businesses can make important decisions based on these text visualizations. Getting insights into the customer’s minds is the primary concern of any business entity that wants to excel in their field.
Employing the latest text visualization techniques, businesses these days are gaining an advantage over their rivals and in turn improving their products based on real-time customer feedback. This article will explain what text visualization is, how it is revolutionizing the business world and how you can implement to get the major benefits associated with this technique.
What is Text Visualization and How is it useful?
Text visualization is a technique that uses visual representations to help analyze and understand text data. Text visualization analyzes large amounts of text data including social media postings and online customer reviews as well as news articles. With over 350k posts per minute on Instagram and a similar number on Facebook, data visualization is an excellent technique to help you see patterns, trends, and insights that may be difficult to identify through manual analysis of text data.
It can help businesses and organizations identify key themes, topics, and sentiments within large amounts of text data, which can inform decision-making and improve performance. Text visualization tools foster increased collaboration amongst stakeholders as it ensures better communication. The current trends in text visualization point towards increased automation as AI-based sentiment analysis and NLP help businesses gain a competitive edge.
Text Visualization in Business
The main goal of businesses when using text visualization is to gain valuable and actionable insights into the customer’s mind. These insights are of critical importance in this day n age where competition between businesses is intense. This intense competition requires latest tools and data-driven techniques to gain a competitive edge over your rivals – something text visualization offers in abundance. If utilized correctly, text visualizations provide the best intel to a business’ needs and future planning directives.
Businesses these days are using text visualization in diverse forms including sentiment analysis, trend analysis, brand performance metrics and so on. Sentiment analysis is a key text analytics tool which offers subjective quality data to a business. Not only does it provide the quantity but the quality of customer feedback to businesses.
The prevailing trends of the industry and the current brand position of the business are key parameters that are interpreted using data visualization techniques. Moreover, text visualization also helps performs vigorous risk assessments of a product through market research. Businesses can foresee whether a product will be received positively by the population or will score low in the approval ratings and thus make a timely decision to halt production, if necessary.
Text visualization examples in the market:
- Retail Industry – is perhaps the biggest user of text visualization to further their interests as they measure customer interactions, posts, and online reviews to push products more relevant to a specific customer.
- Banking Sector – A bank in South Africa converted textual input from millions of customers into a sentiment analysis model. It drew up a histogram with negative and positive percentages for various banking functions such as ease of use, online banking, customer support and so on.
- Hospitality – An online website used sentiment analysis to plan itineraries for its prospective customers instead of just suggesting hotels in an area of their choosing.
Benefits of Text Visualization in Business
There are many inherent benefits of text visualization for businesses as it offers a wide range of products for different scenarios. From histograms to word clouds, to interactive dashboards and sentiment analysis outputs, text visualization helps businesses improve their services and products. The most significant advantages of employing such information visualization methods are enlisted below:
Text visualization offers businesses the ability to analyze large amounts of textual data to gain timely insights for better decision making. Such decisions are based on solid footings and not just hearsay as they’re based on the current trends depicted by the data.
Increased efficiency and Productivity
Text visualization is an automation tool that provides accurate and agile analysis of raw textual input. It avoids the cumbersome process of manual analysis and thus is scalable, providing automated analysis for large amounts of data with minimum manpower.
Better Communication and Collaboration
Text visualization makes for better communication amongst a business’ hierarchy and thus results in better transparency. Information is communicated effectively from top to bottom thus ensuring the maximum levels of collaboration amongst team members and all stakeholders.
Types of Text Visualization
There are many types of text visualization in the market that can help businesses visualize raw data to get insights and make better decisions.
Word clouds represent a text visualization technique that shows the frequency of most occurring words in any given text. It highlights the major themes present in a text and by way of using large and small fonts based on frequency, it also gives an idea of which theme is more prevalent.
Network graphs employ a traditional method of linking two entities with arrows to display the relationship between them. The node and arrow format are super easy to distinguish the various interlinkages between different entities present in a dataset.
Heat maps are similar text visualization method to word clouds as they also tell the frequency of a word or theme’s occurrence. However, in this case, data is illustrated by different colors rather than changing the font of the words. Such representation presents a clear and lucid style of frequency illustration of different themes in a text.
While the above-mentioned methods are the most used text visualization techniques, other methods include scatter plots, Sankey charts, slope charts and tag clouds among others. All these tools must be used based on the data analyzed as different data is suited for different modes of visualization.
How to Implement Text Visualization in Business
Using the latest technologies to gain a competitive edge may seem easy, but it can become tricky sometimes. Such technologies need to be used correctly and in a specific way to bear the best results. Here is how you can implement text visualization techniques for your business.
Your Step-By-Step Guide to Implement Text Visualization
It is important to understand the process to help make the correct decisions while implementing text visualization. Text visualization is a form of text analytics that basically converts raw unstructured data into more useful forms.
The first step in any text analytics method is the gathering of data on which the analysis is performed. For analyses, there are many methods including manual analysis and using AI-based tools for analysis. You can use natural language processing techniques to help make the machine understand the text as humans do. Once the text is filtered and categorized into themes, these themes are illustrated using different methods as described above.
Selecting an Appropriate Text Visualization Tool
- Identify the purpose for which you’re going to use text visualization and define some objectives. These goals will define the output required based on the data to be analyzed.
- Evaluate the ease of use of a text visualization technique. An easy-to-use tool with clear instructions is your best bet if you’re not that tech-savvy.
- Compatibility between the data to be analyzed and the tool you’re going to use is another factor that must be considered before selecting the text visualization tool.
- Another tip is to look for advanced features such as the ability to analyze through natural language processing, sentiment analysis, or machine learning. These additional features help gain deeper insights into the data meaning increase accuracy of text visualizations.
Best Practices for Effective Use of Text Visualization
- Define clear goals and objectives.
- Select the correct text visualization technique (described above)
- Preprocessing the data can be a pain point – selecting the right tool for the data.
- Color themes and designs can make the information more distinguishable.
- Don’t overdo the illustrations as it will only look messy.
Future of Text Visualization in Business
- Interactive Dashboards are becoming quite popular in the business world as they allow users to visualize data in real-time and make decisions based on that data. With the help of data mining information visualization tools, businesses create interactive dashboards to help them analyze large amounts of text data quickly and efficiently.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP) is a software programming process that relies on the latest artificial intelligence philosophy to mimic human-like interactions in machines. Text visualization also benefits from NLP by organizing and analyzing large amounts of unstructured text data and converting it into data visualizations.
- Machine Learning is a similar technique to NLP, but it relies on training the machine to identify patterns and trends based on the training data. Machine learning algorithms are used to analyze textual data which is difficult to detect manually.
- Sentiment Analysis is a refined version of text analytics that employs both NLP and machine learning models to analyze textual input to extract types of human emotions found in such text. Such emotions give a lot more information about customer likes, dislikes, and preferences than mere quantitative data.
Potential Impact of Text Visualization on Future Business Practices
Text visualization can prove to be a game changer for the future of business practices. The reliance on data will grow even further as text visualization will help gain the following benefits:
- Improved data analysis as large datasets are interpreted quickly and efficiently.
- Increased automation will result in less time and resource consumption.
- Better communication: will result in enhanced collaboration between stakeholders and timely completion of targets and improved decision-making.
- Deeper insights due to advanced text analytics methods instead of traditional methods.
- Businesses can stumble on new opportunities based on deeper insights.
Text visualization is rapidly transforming the way businesses organize and analyze data. As data accumulation shows no signs of abating, text analytics and text visualizations are the necessary means to achieve the business goals of today.
Improved decision-making, better communication and collaboration, and enhanced productivity are some of the benefits that can be realized by proper implementation of text visualization tools. Businesses must embrace this new wave of technological innovations to grow and succeed in delivering top-quality products to customers.
Follow TodayTechnology for more!